Featured Image -- 2194

BitTorrent To Sony: Let Us Distribute ‘The Interview’

Originally posted on Deadline:

As part of Sony Picture Entertainment’s media blitz today to defend its decision of pulling The Interview after President Barack Obama called the move “a mistake,” SPE CEO told NPR that Sony “very much wanted to keep the picture in release” but “we don’t have any takers, neither on the video demand side nor on the e-commerce side.”

That is not exactly the case — at least one outlet has volunteered its services to release the Seth Rogen comedy, which triggered one of the biggest hacking scandals in history. BitTorrent Chief Content Officer Matt Mason told Deadline today that his file-sharing service wants to circulate The Interview. “We have reached out (to Sony) on a number of fronts,” he said. “It seems like no one else wants to touch this, but for us this about the two things we care about most: an open Internet and a sustainable future for creativity. This is…

View original 378 more words

Featured Image -- 2189

Sony Responds To President Obama’s Criticism: “We Had No Choice,” Still Hope To Release ‘The Interview’

Originally posted on Deadline:

UPDATE, 2:00PM: Following a very public rebuke from President Obama for caving to terrorist demands, Sony Pictures said today it is committed to getting The Interview seen by audiences. Two days ago, a studio spokesperson basically said the movie was dead, telling Deadline, “Sony Pictures has no further release plans for the film.” Here’s the studio’s official statement, on the heels of CEO Michael Lynton’s defensive appearance on CNN (read his remarks below):

“Sony Pictures Entertainment is and always has been strongly committed to the First Amendment. For more than three weeks, despite brutal intrusions into our company and our employees’ personal lives, we maintained our focus on one goal: getting the film The Interview released. Free expression should never be suppressed by threats and extortion.

The decision not to move forward with the December 25 theatrical release of The Interview was made as a result of the majority…

View original 732 more words

Featured Image -- 2185

Benedict Cumberbatch Officially Joins Marvel’s ‘Doctor Strange’

Originally posted on Variety:

Benedict Cumberbatch has officially joined Marvel Studio’s “Doctor Strange,” the company said Thursday.

The actor will play neurosurgeon Doctor Stephen Strange who, after a horrific car accident, discovers the hidden world of magic and alternate dimensions and becomes the next Sorcerer Supreme and primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats. Marvel Comics vets Stan Lee and Steve Ditko co-created the character in 1963.

Cumberbatch’s casting had been in the works since October.

Scott Derrickson is directing the film, to be released Nov. 4, 2016, as part of Marvel’s phase three of superhero movies. Jon Spaihts is writing the script.

“Stephen Strange’s story requires an actor capable of great depth and sincerity,” said Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige. “In 2016 Benedict will show audiences what makes Doctor Strange such a unique and compelling character.”

Feige has long wanted the Doctor Strange character to star in his own solo film as a way…

View original 139 more words

Featured Image -- 2174

Will Smith, Tom Hardy, Jared Leto Commit To 3D ‘Suicide Squad’ Lineup – Update

Originally posted on Deadline:

UPDATED, 6:02 PM: Warner Bros said tonight that Suicide Squad will be released in 3D and 2D.

PREVIOUSLY, 2:56 PM: Warner Bros has firmed Will Smith, Tom Hardy and Margot Robbie for its DC Comics villain team Suicide Squad, and has set Jared Leto to play The Joker, Jai Courtney to play Boomerang and Cara Delevingne to play Enchantress in the David Ayer-directed film. Smith plays Deadshot, Hardy Rick Flagg and Robbie Harley Quinn. Most of these were reported on. Not in the studio announcement is whether Jesse Eisenberg brings his Batman V Superman villain Lex Luthor to the DC cavalcade, as I’ve heard will happen.

[pmc-related-link href=”http://deadline.com/2014/10/will-smith-tom-hardy-eyeing-suicide-squad-at-warner-bros-853364/”]Will Smith & Tom Hardy Eyeing ‘Suicide Squad’ At Warner Bros[/pmc-related-link]

suicide-squadAyer, coming off Fury, is scripting and the studio set an August 5, 2016 release. Charles Roven is producing with Richard Suckle and Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, Colin Wilson and…

View original 62 more words

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ trailer

IMG_0051.JPG
Last week, rumors swirled that the next Star Wars film was prepping audiences for the first look. It ultimately became a marketing story about how Disney was planning to release the teaser in a few select theaters on Black Friday which meant that leaks were likely to happen. And later on a development began that the trailer would be online the same day as well. Well today is that day, and we have our first look at JJ Abrams’ own Star Wars.

The trailer doesn’t give us much about the story but we get shots of newcomers John Boyega (Attack the Block), Oscar Issac (Drive), and Daisy Ridley in the desert (giving back memories of the original) as the good guys. We also get a beautiful shot of the Millennium Falcon back in action but the money shot is the triple light saber. Similar to the teaser trailer for The Phantom Menace with Darth Maul’s double light saber, we get a shot of a dark hooded figure (perhaps Adam Driver or Andy Serkis?) pulling out the light saber. The trailer’s voiceover is also very effective but fans have debated whether it’s Serkis, Max Von Sydow, or perhaps Benedict Cumberbatch? Probably not Cumberbatch but can we not hope?

The teaser is very effective in that it shows us enough for now but doesn’t give away too much. Overall, I’m excited to see what Abrams has in store for fans. Star Wars: The Force Awakens stars Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Lupita Nyong’o, Oscar Issac, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Max Von Sydow, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis. Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be released December 18, 2015. The trailer is below.

‘Pitch Perfect 2′ trailer

Pitch-Perfect-2-Barden-Bellas

For a lot of movies that deserve sequels, some are made and some aren’t. In the case of Pitch Perfect, the female-comedy had some funny moments but it never struck me as a movie that screamed “Green-light a sequel immediately!!”. Yet here we are with the trailer for Pitch Perfect 2 and it looks like it could two ways for me. The first film is clearly a “chick flick” so they never were targeting me as females make up most of the audiences excited for the film. The original featured Kendrick doing a rendition of the song “Cups” which rose to the number 6 spot on Billboard Hot 100 which the trailer featured at the very beginning.

Instead of college competition, this time the Bellas will take on international competition in the world championship of a cappella. The film will be Elizabeth Banks’ directorial debut and she looks to the stakes up a notch from the previous film. The film returns stars Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Skylar Astin, Banks herself, John Michael Higgins, and Adam Devine (Workaholics) and features newcomers David Cross, Joe Lo Truglio, Kathy Segal, and NFL star Clay Matthews. The film does have a bigger scope than the last one and could hit off or could suffer from severe sequelitis. Pitch Perfect 2 will be released May 15, 2015. The trailer and teaser poster are below.

Pitch-Perfect-2-Poster

Rumor: ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ teaser trailer ready?

Star_Wars_Episode_VII_68081

Without a doubt, next year’s film schedule will feature some huge blockbusters with Avengers: Age of Ultron, the Despicable Me spin-off MinionsThe Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part II, the untitled Bond 24, Ted 2Furious 7, the Jurassic Park sequel Jurassic World, yet none (not even Marvel’s finest) can match the hype that surrounds the newest Star Wars film. Despite being nearly a year away from release, audiences may be getting their first look at Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Earlier today, it was reported by Badass Digest that the first look at JJ Abrams’ highly anticipated Star Wars sequel is coming very soon. Some even say as early as this weekend with the release of The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part I, yet it’s more likely that the first trailer of the Star Wars will be released sometime in December. If I had to guess, I would say that it would be attached to The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies or another fellow Disney film Into the Woods.

The first description of the trailer that is being rumored by Badass Digest, states that there isn’t any dialogue in the footage, mostly just revealing some of the characters with it ending with a title shot and the Millennium Falcon, firing blasters, coming right at the screen. Below is what Badass Digest describes in full:

It’s going to have The Force Theme played on woodwinds, softly, over flashing images of the main leads, each fading to black. There’s no dialogue, just reveals of the characters. And then the music swells up into a full orchestral piece – perhaps what John Williams recorded this weekend? – and we hear a female voice, likely Daisy Ridley’s, saying “Wake up.”

As a big fan of JJ Abrams (loved Star Trek, really like two thirds of Star Trek: Into Darkness, love his TV work as well), I’m cautiously excited at seeing his vision. As a vocal Star Wars fan, it’s clear that both the latest Star Trek films were inspired by Star Wars and Abrams knows it. Coming off those awful prequels, it won’t be hard for Episode VII to be better than any but, with Abrams aboard, fans should be excited about the prospects of someone who has a good idea on how these films should be done. In short, hopefully Star Wars: The Force Awakens isn’t just a blatant cash-grab like those damn prequels. Star Wars: The Force Awakens stars John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Harrison Ford, Adam Driver, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Lupita Nyong’o, Oscar Isaac, Domhnall Gleeson, and Andy Serkis. The film will be released December 18, 2015.

Star Wars Episode 7